Rett Syndrome Program
The Greenwood Genetic Center has a longstanding interest and expertise in Rett syndrome, a rare, genetic neurodevelopmental disorder that affects mainly females. GGC’s Rett syndrome program includes clinical care, diagnostic testing, research projects, and clinical trials.
GGC has been named a Rett Syndrome Center of Excellence by the International Rett Syndrome Foundation (IRSF). We were proud to be a clinical trial site for DAYBUE, the first and only FDA-approved drug for Rett syndrome.
GGC works closely with IRSF to provide support and advocacy for those impacted by Rett Syndrome. Each year, GGC and IRSF work with the SC governor’s office to proclaim October as Rett Syndrome Awareness Month in SC.
- Rett Syndrome Pediatric Multidisciplinary Clinic – held in conjunction with the Shriners Hospital for Children and Prisma Health-Upstate in Greenville, SC. Services include genetics, genetic counseling, neurology, developmental pediatrics, physical therapy, occupational therapy, social work, and dietary management. Age range: birth-21 years of age.
- Rett Syndrome Genetic Clinic – appointments available at the Greenwood and Greenville offices of the Greenwood Genetic Center with a clinical geneticist, developmental-behavioral pediatrician, and certified genetic counselor. Patients can be seen clinically and/or for research.
- Diagnostic Testing – GGC was one of the first labs to offer testing for MECP2, the gene associated with Rett syndrome. The laboratory also offers testing for other genes for related conditions including FOXG1, CDKL5, as well as a Rett/Angelman NGS panel.
Current Rett Syndrome Studies
Past Rett Syndrome Studies
- A 40-Week, Open-Label Extension Study of Trofinetide for the Treatment of Girls and Women with Rett Syndrome (ACADIA Pharmaceuticals Inc)
- An Open-Label Extension Study of Continuing Treatment with Trofinetide for Rett Syndrome (ACADIA Pharmaceuticals Inc)
- Defining Anxiety in Rett Syndrome
- Rett Syndrome, MECP2 Duplication Disorder, and Rett-Related Disorders Natural History Protocol (5211)
- Biobanking of Rett Syndrome, MECP2 Duplication Disorder, and Rett-Related Disorders Protocol (5213)
- Rett Natural History Study (5201)
- A Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Dose-ranging Study of the Safety and Pharmacokinetics of Oral NNZ-2566 in Pediatric Rett Syndrome (Neuren Pharmaceuticals Ltd.)
- A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Trial to Investigate the Efficacy and Safety of Cannabidiol Oral Solution in Patients with Rett Syndrome (GW Research Ltd)
- An Open-Label Extension Trial to Investigate the Long-Term Safety of Cannabidiol Oral Solution (GWP42003-P, CBD-OS) in Patients with Rett Syndrome (GW Research Ltd)
- A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group Study of Trofinetide for the Treatment of Girls and Women with Rett Syndrome (ACADIA Pharmaceuticals Inc)
- A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Dose Titration Study of ANAVEX2-73 in Patients with Rett Syndrome
Rett Syndrome Research Opportunities
For more information about our research opportunities, please contact Fran Annese, [email protected], 864-941-8160.
Download our Rett program brochure (pdf)