Director of Research, Head of JC Self Research Institute
Dr. Steet joined GGC in August 2018 as the Director of Research and Head of the JC Self Research Institute following twelve years as a professor in the Complex Carbohydrate Research Center at the University of Georgia. His current research program, funded by the NIH and private foundations, is focused on defining disease mechanisms for two different classes of inherited diseases: lysosomal storage disorders and the congenital disorders of glycosylation. This work takes advantage of cell and animal-based models and uses a combination of chemical, molecular, and developmental approaches to unravel the complex pathogenesis of these disorders and explore new ways to treat them.
Dr. Steet’s goals for the Research Division are to integrate strengths in basic science research with clinical and translational studies, to enhance partnerships with pharmaceutical companies that can drive therapeutic development, and collaborate with the Clinical and Diagnostic divisions of GGC to enhance our understanding of the genetic basis for birth defects and disabilities.
Dr. Steet is a dedicated advocate of rare disease research and serves on the scientific advisory boards for the National MPS Society and ISMRD.
Office: (864) 388-1807
Fax: (864) 388-1707
- B.A. (Chemistry), Colgate University, Hamilton, NY, 1994
- Ph.D. (Chemistry and Biochemistry), University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO, 2000
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Washington University in Saint Louis, Department of Medicine, 2000-2005
- Instructor of Medicine, Washington University in Saint Louis, Department of Medicine 2005-2006
- Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Complex Carbohydrate Research Center, University of Georgia, 2006-2012
- Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Complex Carbohydrate Research Center, University of Georgia, 2012-2017
- Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Complex Carbohydrate Research Center, University of Georgia, 2017-2018
- Director of Research and Head of JC Self Research Institute of Human Genetics, Greenwood Genetic Center, 2018-present
Other Appointments and Professional Service
- Adjunct Assistant Professor; Department of Cell Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA; 2006-present
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Genetics and Biochemistry, Clemson University, Clemson, SC, 2018-present
- Treasurer, Society for Glycobiology, 2013-present
- Member, Scientific Advisory Board, ISMRD 2012-present
- Member, Scientific Advisory Board, MPS Society, 2015-present
- Member, Editorial Board, Glycobiology (official journal of the Society for Glycobiology), 2016-present
Awards and Honors
- Recipient of the University of Georgia nomination for the Searle Scholar Award competition, 2006
- NIH Extramural Loan Repayment Program (LRP) Award in Pediatric Research, 2009